Welcome!

I am writing this blog as a means to express what I am feeling during what is the most frustrating and unsettling time of my life. If you are reading then you may be experiencing a similar situation, or know someone who is going through the same. I hope to regularly update and blog what is going on, until the day I finally get my sons what they deserve, a happy and normal relationship with both parents.

Please read the post "the story so far" it will explain whats going on. Thank you.

Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook

Email me: analienateddad@hotmail.co.uk

Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Child Commissioner for Wales writes.....

I noticed that the Child Commissioner for Wales, Kieth Towler is on Twitter (@childcomwales). His profile there states;

"Wales’ children’s champion. Promoting the rights and welfare of the country’s children and young people"

I decided to ask him via Twitter on his thoughts on my blog, and what he could do to help the situation. He responded via email today;

Dear An alienated Dad

I’ve now had the opportunity to read your blog and check in with my team. 

I understand how frustrating this situation must be for you. Nevertheless, my officer was correct in stipulating that the difficulty we have as an organisation is that I cannot intervene in legal proceedings. It clearly states in the legislation that set up my office – the Care Standards Act 2000, the Children’s Commissioner for Wales Act 2001 and the Children’s Commissioner for Wales Regulations 2001 – that I am prohibited to ‘enquire into or report on any matter so far as it is subject to legal proceedings before, or has been determined by, a court or tribunal’. In addition, the 2000 Act states the Commissioner cannot act where CAFCASS is able to act. 

Clearly, this situation cannot be easy for your children. Please remember there are support services in place for your children, including Childline (0800 1111) which has trained counsellors and Meic (080880 23456), which is an advocacy service.

I am truly sorry that I can’t help but as I’ve noted above, my hands are tied with the legislation that set up my office.

Although this development may not necessarily affect your case, it may be of some comfort to you that the Ministry of Justice, Department of Education and the Welsh Government have set up a review of the family justice system in England and Wales. The aim of this review is to improve the system so that it’s quicker, simpler, more cost-effective and fairer and that decisions are made in the best interest of children. I am a member of that review panel and I do make sure that I reflect the experiences of children and their families who make contact with me in the Panel’s deliberations.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,
Keith

Not much can be argued with from his response. Hopefully the review he speaks of will have the result of a change so this type of thing doesn't happen to any others in the future. That would be a real positive.

What is interesting is that he suggest my children speak to Childline. A useful suggestion which hints at his obvious recognition that the boys are in need of external support due to the unrecognised abuse being heaped on them by their mother.

1 comment:

  1. You know Alienated Dad, you are not the first and certainly not the last parent to whom this has happened. I thought about taking a diplomatic view here, but decided against it. Drastic conditions calls for drastic measures.

    My word, you are a total wuss. Unless you aren't telling us everything, you are begging to be stepped upon. Get a grip! Example - returning the boys and she wasn't home, then you waited, then you phoned .. I would have carried on driving home pretending I didn't saw her passing. Then don't take her calls. She wasn't home on the agreed time, so SHE can now come and fetch them!

    No, I am NOT impressed with you. You don't have to be rude or even cruel but stop your whole submissive attitude. Gosh.

    As far as the Child Commissioner for Wales is concerned. I think your Twitter bio is a massive overstatement, change it to something realistic so that we can like you. You draw your salary diligently every month, living in this bubble which you think is doing the world a huge favour. Well, you are not making a difference sir, so STOP shouting it out?!

    ReplyDelete